Did you ever consider the immense value of dental crowns? Made to protect and retain a natural tooth, they bring an end to dental pain and even improve the esthetics of a tooth. At Kurz Family Dentistry in Dacula, GA we have many kinds of restorative dentistry options, and crowns are one of the most popular and common.
What Is a Dental Crown?
The word crown is not the best term for describing dental crowns. After all, a crown is more of a ring or band, while a dental crown is more of a cap. This is precisely why they used to be called caps rather than crowns! They fit snugly over a tooth that has been treated by the dentist, and are made of super durable materials that allow the crown to perform exactly as the original tooth once did.
They are used for a variety of reasons, including:
- Decayed teeth that cannot be safely treated with a traditional filling or restoration
- Teeth that are to be put to use as abutments for a dental bridge
- Teeth that have had root canal therapy
- To complete most dental implants
- Teeth that are chipped or cracked, fractured or otherwise damaged beyond repair
- Teeth that are deeply stained and resistant to traditional whitening
This tells us that dental crowns can be restorative dentistry in addition cosmetic dentistry too. They are dependable for their ability to bring pain to an end (though some patients do have sensitivity for a short period after a crown is first placed). They also restore any tooth to its fullest function, ensuring that it remains in place and holds the bite in its original, healthy alignment. While working as a perfect replacement, the dental crown is also going to eliminate all of the problems that can be caused by the loss of an adult tooth, such as jaw pain, uneven wear, teeth grinding and more.